When you are ready to sell your house, chances are that it is full of items that you would just rather sell or get rid of than go through the hassle of moving. How do you sell a house full of stuff in Atlanta? Check out our latest posts for some tips.
So it’s time to move. If you are moving now (towards the end of 2020), then you should have no trouble selling your house since we are in a major seller’s market in just about every part of the country, including Georgia. But first, you have to figure out what you are going to do with all the things inside your house before you sell the property itself.
If you’ve lived in your home for any length of time, chances are that you’ve accumulated closets full of clothes that you don’t wear, a kitchen full of dishes and cooking utensils you don’t need, and a garage full of whatever will fit in there.
Don’t worry, you’re not a hoarder (trust us), this is completely normal.
Or, also common, you’ve inherited a house that is full of a family member(s) items, and it can be a major pain to go through their house and sort through what’s worth keeping, and what needs to go.
Really you are looking at two main options:
- Sell the stuff, clean it up, and then sell the house
- Sell the house with everything in it
Let’s look at both ways.
Sell The Stuff First
What is the best way to sell the items inside the house? How do you do it? To determine this, you should think about the time vs. money trade-off. Do you want more money? Then you should be ready to put in some time. Or do you just want to get rid of it fast?
If you want to save money:
If you have some time and are looking to make a little pocket money – here are a few options for you:
- Estate Sale Companies – research some local estate sale companies. They may have a showroom, or they might host a sale at your house. Some charge a fee, while some work strictly on commission.
- Resell your items online – for maximum profit, list and resale your items on sites like eBay, Craigslist, LetGo, and Facebook Marketplace. Swappa and Decluttr are good for tech items like cell phones and computers. Note that this takes A LOT of time – especially if you have a lot of things to sell.
- Hire someone – You can post a job on Craigslist or Upwork to have someone list your items and sell them. This isn’t free, obviously, but can definitely be a time saver and get you a little money when the items sell.
If you want to save time:
- Hire someone to take it all – Google “junk removal near me” and someone will pick up everything that you don’t want to keep. Most companies will give you a free estimate, so do some research on this.
It can be a major timesaver, and well worth it than to painstakingly sell each piece of furniture or extra tool that you don’t need.
Save The Valuables, and Sell the Rest
One of the best ways is to sell some things and keep others. Separate your items into three categories – items you want to keep, items you want to sell, and items you want to toss.
Keep the smaller, more valuable things like jewelry and old family photos for sentimental value. Take the clothes, sheets, dishes, and books to Goodwill.
Lastly, sell the furniture or other nice items through one of the estate sale companies – or host your own! Set up a few weekends to host a sale, then post the date on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist.
Buyers show up, and pay you to take the stuff you want to get rid of. Score!
Don’t Put Your Items in Storage
I’m sorry, I have to say this. Please don’t put your stuff in storage! You will just add another monthly bill and delay the inevitable tossing.
Storage should only be for valuable items that can’t make the move to your new house like a boat or classic car.
Please don’t fill a storage unit full of furniture or old clothes that you think you will return to once you finalize your move. You won’t. Just take care of it now.
Sell The House With Everything In It
I saved the best recommendation for last – sell it to us! We will take care of the stuff. One of the biggest advantages of working with us is that you don’t have to worry about any of this.
You jjust send in your information, we make you an offer you like, and you move on with your life! Easy-peasy – just leave whatever you don’t want behind. Trust me, we got it.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN SELLING YOUR HOME OR LOOKING FOR ANY REAL ESTATE RELATED HELP, FILL OUT OUR ONLINE FORM OR GIVE US A CALL AT (404) 500-8094
We would love to help…. Seriously – no hard sells, just friendly conversation 🙂